Compact Edition 3.5 and Service Broker 2005?
Thomas Steinmaurer
2010-05-05 08:52:41 UTC
Hello,

I'm seeking for ideas on how to design a mobile data acquisition
architecture in the world of Windows CE 6 as mobile OS, Windows Server
2003/2008 as server OS, SQL Compact Edition 3.5 on the mobile device and
SQL Server 2005 Standard on the server.

On an embedded device running WinCE and SQL Compact Edition 3.5,
measurement data is received by external devices (e.g. via CAN bus),
locally stored in the compact edition database and then transmitted via
GSM, satellite ... to a central database server running SQL Server 2005
Standard.

Using Microsoft technologies (WinCE, SQL Compact Edition, SQL 2005 ...)
I wonder how an (reference) architecture could look like? Especially
interesting is the method to transfer data to the server. Not sure, if
e.g. a web service on the server-side would be best or "plain" SQL
server-based replication or e.g. leveraging SQL Server 2005 Service Broker?

Can Compact Edition 3.5 be used in an environment with Service Broker
for bidirectional data exchange?

Thanks,
Thomas
Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]
2010-05-05 17:08:04 UTC
I'm no kind of SQL Server expert, but I've done SQL Compact 3.5 merge
replication (which is two-way, if you want it to be), with SQL Server 2008.
It works very well and is relatively easy to set up. You really don't want,
I think, to have to design and implement a Web service to transport data back
and forth, handle modification date/time, etc. I've done that with Sync
Services for ADO.NET and it's a major pain compared to merge replication. If
you need to sync with a server over the Internet, you need IIS running
somewhere that it's accessible from outside, that machine then needs access
to an internal (probably), SQL Server machine (or you can run SQL Server on
the IIS machine). Merge replication can use SSL, authentication, etc. to
secure access to the data.

Paul T.
.
Thomas Steinmaurer
2010-05-11 09:16:33 UTC
Hi Paul,

thanks for that!

I understand replication as being pretty data-oriented. The reason why
we might target a more loosely coupled message-based system is hopefully
flexibility. Although, if SQL CE can't be part of a Service Broker
architecture, we have to re-think that anyway.

So, anybody knows if SQL CE 3.5 can be used in a Service Broker based
architecture?

Thanks!

Thomas
.
ErikEJ
2010-05-11 17:20:33 UTC
No, not directly.

Rob T has some information about MQ like features built inot SQL Compact
here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/robtiffany/archive/2009/10/02/the-hidden-message-queue-on-your-windows-phone.aspx
--
Erik Ejlskov Jensen, Mobile App Dev MCTS
Check out my SQL Compact blog at
.
Thomas Steinmaurer
2010-05-19 08:35:26 UTC
Paul,

can you recommend a resource (article, book, ...) to get up and running
with SQL CE 3.5 merge replication?

Thanks,
Thomas
.
ErikEJ
2010-05-19 17:46:09 UTC
This is highly recommended:

Enterprise Data Synchronization with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and SQL
Server Compact 3.5 Mobile Merge Replication

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enterprise-Synchronization-Microsoft-Compact-Replication/dp/0979891213/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274291137&sr=8-1
.
Thomas Steinmaurer
2010-05-26 11:13:33 UTC