Is Windows 2000 definitely not supported for SQL Server CE 3.5 SP1?
Anthony Wieser
2009-07-25 08:40:19 UTC

I'm trying to write up the system requirements for a package I'm developing,
and have just tested my software on Windows 2000.

It seems that despite being allowed to install 3.5 SP1 on a windows 2000
machine with no errors, when I try to check if it's installed using this
function:
BOOL CStrokeOfGeniusApp::IsSQLServerCEInstalled()
{
ISSCEEngine35 *pISSCEEngine = NULL;

HRESULT hr = CoCreateInstance( __uuidof(Engine35),
0,
CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER,
__uuidof(*pISSCEEngine),
(void**)&pISSCEEngine);

if (!FAILED(hr))
{
pISSCEEngine->Release();
}

return(hr==S_OK);
}

the return is not TRUE.

Is it really not supported, or is there something else that can be done?
--
Anthony Wieser
Wieser Software Ltd
Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]
2009-07-27 04:35:40 UTC
Multiple things:
1) Windows 2000 as a OS is out of support period. In fact, Windows XP also
expires soon (It's support period is already extended twice).
2) SQL CE v3.5 SP1 does not block explicitly the install, or usage.
However, officially we do not support Windows 2000. People have tried it
and there are some scenarios that work. However, we at Microsoft have not
tested SQL CE v3.5 SP1 stack on Windows 2000 as we do not support that OS.

HTH,
Laxmi
Hi,