Sharing SQLCE Database
Igor Kondrasovas
2010-02-25 18:51:01 UTC
Hello All,

I have a scenario where I have a Windows CE 5.0 device that will be used as
a small server in a industrial equipment.

The clients will use a SilverLight application (already hosted in the CE
device, what is already working).

Now, as the silverlight application runs on the client side, I need to
stabilish a connection to the device database to extract data.

Is it possible to connect to the SDF file remotely? I was looking that WCE
do not have a folder sharing capability, so its acess would not be allowed.

I think that the most elegant way would be providing some web services to
the silverlight application, but the current win ce server do not suport
asp.net, so I assume web service are not supported.

Any thoughts?

Kindly regards,

Igor.
Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]
2010-02-25 20:43:01 UTC
Windows CE *does* have a folder sharing capability, but, as with most
characteristics of Windows CE, you have to build it into your OS and turn it
on and configure it. Look for File Server or Print Server in the catalog.

I don't feel qualified to say "do it this way" or "do it that way", based on
what we know about your situation. For example, we don't know what
networking technology you're using, how fast it is, whether connectivity is
100% or might be intermittent, how many clients you have, what percentage of
the data they would need to access, etc.

Paul T.
Igor.
Alberto Silva, MVP
2010-02-26 10:56:36 UTC
SQL CE databases while being able to be opened by simultaneous processes
running on the same computer, are not meant to be shared by folder sharing.
The best approach would be the one you mentioned, web services like.

Alberto Silva
signature database 4865 (20100214) __________
http://www.eset.com
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4865 (20100214) __________

http://www.eset.com
Igor Kondrasovas
2010-02-26 12:55:01 UTC
Hello Alberto,

Thank you for the reply back.

Unfortunately as WCE does not support ASP.NET, I will not be able to host
.asmx files. I know that I could do using unmanaged code and COM as I read in
other articles and MSDN documents, but this will make the development time
much bigger than I thought.

1 - Do you tink is it possible to connect toa a .sdf file using a connection
string containt a URI (like http://myserver/db.sdf)?

2 - If not, I think that I would create a resident application in the device
that implements a TCPListener that will manage incoming connection from the
clients (using sockets), performs the database operation and reply data
back.... Altought this is an extra effort, I will be using only managed code.

What do you think?

Regards,

Igor
http://www.eset.com
ErikEJ
2010-02-26 13:45:08 UTC
Have you had a look at this:
http://opennetcf.com/Products/Padarn/tabid/267/Default.aspx ?
--
Erik Ejlskov Jensen, Mobile App Dev MCTS
Check out my SQL Compact blog at
http://www.eset.com
Igor Kondrasovas
2010-02-26 19:41:01 UTC
Hello ErikEJ,

Actually I'm trying out this product. I'm curently running some problems to
compile the sample application they provide, but it seem to be my best option.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to workaround with socket communication throught a
custom protocol.

Thanks,

Igor
.