Server Tools 3.0 & 3.5 on single IIS Box?
Brian
2009-09-25 00:35:51 UTC
I seem to have painted myself into a corner.
I learned today when I went to install the Sql Server 2005 Server
Tools 3.5 on our current IIS box that it requires one to uninstall 3.0
first.
I need to be able to run BOTH versions on the same IIS box.

I was planning to create two virtual directories, one for 3.1 clients
using RDA and Replication to a Sql Server 2000 box, and the other
virtual directory running 3.5 doing just RDA. Being forced to remove
the 3.1 tools when installing 3.5 really sunk those plans.

Is there any way out of this mess? I am not in a position to upgrade
the sql 2000 box, I need replication, and my new client app is written
entirely in .NETCF 3.5, which only works with sql ce 3.5, not 3.1.
Brian
2009-09-25 00:58:10 UTC
I guess another solution is if it is possible to run Sql Ce 3.1 in a
CF 3.5 app. Is this setup allowed?
ErikEJ
2009-09-25 05:39:02 UTC
Yes, running SQL CE 3.1 with .NET F 3.5 is definetly supported. Notice that
SQL CE 3.1 is installed and all Windows Mobile 6 and later devices.
--
Erik Ejlskov Jensen, Mobile App Dev MCTS
Check out my SQL Compact blog at
Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]
2009-09-25 11:14:51 UTC
Hey Brian,

Please note that SQL CE v3.5 Server Tools can serve all of SQL CE v3.x
clients. That is, SQL CE v3.0, SQL CE v3.1, SQL CE v3.5 Clients.

Please go thru this heavy blog post when you find time to get clarity.
http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlservercompact/archive/2007/12/19/connectivity-cross-version-compatibility-sql-server-compact-3-5.aspx

Thanks,
Laxmi
Brian
2009-09-25 15:09:59 UTC
Thanks Laxmi,
As I understand it, CF 3.5 Server tools will not allow merge
replication to SQL Server 2000, even if the client is SQLCE 3.1. Am I
wrong in that assesment?

2009-10-05 08:36:19 UTC
Hey Brian,

You are right that SQL CE v3.5 Server Tools can not be used when the
backend is SQL Server 2000. However, I am not sure why you want to use SQL
CE v3.5 Server Tools when the backend server is SQL Server 2000.

I request you to read thru all the deployment models and scenarios
discussed in the given blog post as that would help both of us to make sure
you follow proper steps.

From this post, we have very little information to understand the
deployment scenario.

Is it just .NET CF v3.5 driving you for SQL CE v3.5?

Thanks,
Laxmi
Brian
2009-10-06 19:04:25 UTC
Laxmi,
Thanks for the response. Your posts here and elsewhere have been
invaluable to us on a regular basis when working with SQL CE.
Regarcing our push to CE v3.5, yes part of it was our move to CF 3.5 -
I was under the false impression that CF3.5 was not compatible with CE
3.1. Erik was helpful in that regard. The other reason we wanted to
push on it was security - it is my understanding that SQLCE 3.5
supports AES encryption.
We are building security apps, and that was a compelling feature in
3.5 that is unavailable in 3.1, which only does RSA 128 bit
encryption.
We realize that our SQL Server 2000 back end is holding us back in
many respects, but we are stuck with it for the short term.

We have two different apps, one using Replication, the other doing
only RDA. My hope was that we could lean forward and go with CE 3.5
on the RDA app, as it seemed to work with SQL Server 2000 even though
it is not technically supported. The app using replication is
currently at 3.1, and we have no hope of upgrading that until our back
end gets updated to 2005/2008.

Since we are restricted to using only one IIS machine, I had hoped we
could install 3.1 in one virtual directory for Replication, and 3.5 in
another virtual directory for RDA. This setup worked fine with SQL CE
2.0 and 3.1, but not so with 3.1 / 3.5.

Anyways, I hope that sheds some light on my thinking. We have settled
on 3.1 for both apps, for now. Down the road when we upgrade our SQL
Server back end, we can revisit the apps and get them up to 3.5 to
leverage the enhanced encryption algorithms.

Ultimately, I'm just glad we're done with 2.0!

On Oct 5, 1:36 am, "Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]"
Post by Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]
Hey Brian,
    You are right that SQL CE v3.5 Server Tools can not be used when the
backend is SQL Server 2000.  However, I am not sure why you want to use SQL
CE v3.5 Server Tools when the backend server is SQL Server 2000.
    I request you to read thru all the deployment models and scenarios
discussed in the given blog post as that would help both of us to make sure
you follow proper steps.
    From this post, we have very little information to understand the
2009-10-21 04:01:55 UTC
Inline....
Post by Brian
Laxmi,
Thanks for the response. Your posts here and elsewhere have been
invaluable to us on a regular basis when working with SQL CE.
Regarcing our push to CE v3.5, yes part of it was our move to CF 3.5 -
I was under the false impression that CF3.5 was not compatible with CE
3.1. Erik was helpful in that regard. The other reason we wanted to
push on it was security - it is my understanding that SQLCE 3.5
supports AES encryption.
[Laxmi] yes, SQL CE supports AES encryption. Please refer to this blog post
for more details on database security in SQL CE v3.5.
http://blogs.msdn.com/laxmi/archive/2008/04/15/sql-server-compact-database-file-security.aspx
Post by Brian
[...]
From this post, we have very little information to understand the
2009-10-21 04:06:48 UTC
Inline...
Post by Brian
Laxmi,
Thanks for the response. Your posts here and elsewhere have been
invaluable to us on a regular basis when working with SQL CE.
[Laxmi] Thanks for your kind words Brian.
Post by Brian
Regarcing our push to CE v3.5, yes part of it was our move to CF 3.5 -
I was under the false impression that CF3.5 was not compatible with CE
3.1. Erik was helpful in that regard. The other reason we wanted to
push on it was security - it is my understanding that SQLCE 3.5
supports AES encryption.
[Laxmi] Yes, SQL CE v3.5 supports AES under the encryption mode 'Engine
Default'. Please refer to this blog post for more details on database
security.
Post by Brian
[...]
[Laxmi] I am sorry, but yes you would be required to have two different IIS
machines in this case which you seem to have figured out. We allowed v2.0
and v3.x SxS as one does not serve other (i.e. SQL CE CA 2.0 can not talk to
SQL CE v3.x SA). But in case of SQL CE v3.x, we made a choice to have
compatibility and support all minor versions; hence can't be SxS. Thanks
for your investments in Microsoft and SQL Server products.
Post by Brian
Anyways, I hope that sheds some light on my thinking. We have settled
on 3.1 for both apps, for now. Down the road when we upgrade our SQL
Server back end, we can revisit the apps and get them up to 3.5 to
leverage the enhanced encryption algorithms.
Ultimately, I'm just glad we're done with 2.0!
On Oct 5, 1:36 am, "Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]"
Post by Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]
Hey Brian,
You are right that SQL CE v3.5 Server Tools can not be used when the
backend is SQL Server 2000. However, I am not sure why you want to use SQL
CE v3.5 Server Tools when the backend server is SQL Server 2000.
I request you to read thru all the deployment models and scenarios
discussed in the given blog post as that would help both of us to make sure
you follow proper steps.
From this post, we have very little information to understand the
Brian
2009-10-21 15:27:02 UTC
Post by Brian
Since we are restricted to using only one IIS machine, I had hoped we
could install 3.1 in one virtual directory for Replication, and 3.5 in
another virtual directory for RDA.  This setup worked fine with SQL CE
2.0 and 3.1, but not so with 3.1 / 3.5.
[Laxmi] I am sorry, but yes you would be required to have two different IIS
machines in this case which you seem to have figured out.  We allowed v2.0
and v3.x SxS as one does not serve other (i.e. SQL CE CA 2.0 can not talk to
SQL CE v3.x SA).  But in case of SQL CE v3.x, we made a choice to have
compatibility and support all minor versions; hence can't be SxS.  Thanks
for your investments in Microsoft and SQL Server products.
I guess I see where you are coming from regarding compatibility and
support for all minor versions, but it has made it much more difficult
for us to upgrade our products to 3.5. Without the ability to run 3.1
and 3.5 SxS, we must either create/deploy a new IIS machine or bring
down the entire system until all of our clients in the field are
upgraded. Our hands are tied as far as deploying a new server -
that would break some security rules we have in place and trigger a
very expensive audit, and you can imagine the logistical nightmare
involved in upgraded the clients and server at the same time.

It is what it is, though...this is how sql ce was built and we will
just have to live with it, probably at 3.1 for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for all your help, Laxmi - it is very appreciated.

Brian
2009-09-25 16:06:32 UTC
I'm just not sure that's true. In VS2008 with a .NET CF 3.5 app I
changed all my System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll references from

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5\Devices
\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll to
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition
\v3.1\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

When I try to compile with this setup I receive the following error:
The type 'System.Data.Common.DbCommand' is defined in an assembly that
is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Data,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.

I already have a reference to System.Data, but it is the 3.5 version.
I tried forcing it to use the 2.0 version of this file, but VS would
not allow me to add the reference.

Is there some setting or reference that I am missing?

Thanks,
Brian
ErikEJ
2009-09-26 07:47:21 UTC
You must reference:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact
Edition\v3.1\SDK\bin\wce500\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll
Brian