Logging the merge agent's output
Paul Ibison
2010-01-19 22:14:52 UTC
Hi guys - hoping this is something simple I have missed.

When using SQL Server merge replication I can use the -Output parameter on
the merge agent to get detailed troubleshooting help (as per this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=312292).

Basically I'm trying to achieve the same with SQLCE replication. I've seen
this page: "Enabling Logging by the SQL Server CE Server Agent"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa257452(SQL.80).aspx but it isn't
really detailed enough.

It seems that the default profile is being used on the server but entering
a -Output parameter here also doesn't give me the file.

Has anyone been able to get this output file produced?

Thanks,

Paul Ibison (SQL MVP)
ErikEJ
2010-01-24 13:43:26 UTC
Maybe the info you refer to is too old - what is the name of SQL Compact
server agent: sqlcesa??.dll:
If sqlcesa30.dll then refer to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173017(SQL.90).aspx
If sqlcesa35.dkk then refer to:

For client logging, see my blog entry:
http://erikej.blogspot.com/2008/02/sql-compact-35-client-agent-logging.html
--
Erik Ejlskov Jensen, Mobile App Dev MCTS
Check out my SQL Compact blog at
Paul Ibison (SQL MVP)
Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]
2010-01-28 13:02:21 UTC
Hey I am not sure which SQL Server Compact is under use in your environment.
The registry key path has changed over versions and hence it is important to
use the right registry key hive for that version.

SQL CE v2.0 Server Agent -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa257452(SQL.80).aspx
SQL CE v3.0/v3.1 Server Agent -
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173017(SQL.90).aspx
SQL CE v3.5 Server Agent -

There is other thread that might help you here:
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/SQL-Server/microsoft.public.sqlserver.ce/2005-04/msg00058.html

Thanks,
Laxmi