Problem in opening connection with SQLCE3.5
arnodieter
2008-08-08 08:45:47 UTC
I've written an application for inventory and price enquiry. The application
is written in c# using VS2008, .NetCF2.0 and SQLCE3.5. The device where the
application must run is a Symbol/Motorola MC1000 which has very poor
performance and very little memory.
Sometimes the connection doesn't open. It seems to me, that the device is
"swapping memory" and therefor needs longer than the sqlce-server aspects.
- Who can I workaround these problems?
- Why is the timeout-property of the connection read-only and defaults to
"0"?

Thanks in advance
Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]
2008-08-11 18:02:54 UTC
When the connection fails to open, actually examine the exception that is
thrown by the Open operation and see what that's telling you. There's no
good reason to believe, based on what you've told us, that a timeout is
happening.

If there's no memory, nothing other than using less memory is going to help.
You could dump the .NET CF and write C/C++ code using OLE DB, I think,
although I've never done that. You could try adjusting the Memory settings
on the Memory Control Panel applet for the device to give more memory to the
programs and less for storage. You could stop running some of the programs
that you have running.

There's little or not swapping going on. Windows CE does not support a
'paging' file, so no data is *ever* swapped out.

Paul T.
Thanks in advance
Ginny Caughey MVP
2008-08-11 18:47:01 UTC
Have you tried setting Connect Timeout=500 or some such in the connection
string? Does that make any difference?
--
Ginny Caughey
Device Application Development MVP
Thanks in advance
Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]
2008-08-12 14:29:52 UTC
There is no concept of ConnectTimeout and QueryTimeout with SQL CE. If at all they are parsed, they are parsed and ignored as these timeout business is when client has to wait for server's response. In case of SQLCE, connecting and querying is just another function call and so timeouts do not matter.

So we have to rule out timeout possibility. Now coming to on what and all could be the reason why a connectino could fail are:
1) Connection String information is wrong - SqlCeException should contain the exact details of what is wrong
2) Not enough memory to load all the engine in memory. Please refer to blog articles: (Link1, Link2)

Thanks,
Laxmi [Disclaimer: All postings are as-is and confer no rights]
Thanks in advance
Ginny Caughey MVP

arnodieter
2008-08-13 06:52:57 UTC
Thanks for the tips.
The solution was 2) Not enough memory. I've installed an additional memory card and the application is also installed on the memory card. Now the problem is solved.
But I'm still wondering why there isn't a useful error message from the .NETCF or the SQLCE and why the error occured only sometimes.

Regards

Thanks in advance
arnodieter

Thanks in advance
arnodieter

Thanks in advance
Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]
2008-08-13 11:59:33 UTC
Oh well, I thought I answered it implicitly in my reply. Anyways, it is
there just for ADO.NET Compliance and nothing more. Since everyone derives
from Db* base classes and ConnectTimeout is abstract virtual, we had to
override to compile the code. We did it and also made sure to avoid
applications depending on it by returning zero. Let us not debate on why it
should not have been throwing an exception than zero.

Thanks,
Laxmi
Thanks in advance
arnodieter

Thanks in advance
unknown
2010-01-21 09:30:46 UTC
Can I connect this device with an existing asp.net application? I need this device to scan barcodes and put them into a corresponding field in web application.

Sorry if I posted this into wrong thread,

Thanks

arnodieter wrote:

Ok that's an argument.Thanks."Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]" <laxmi.
13-Aug-08

Ok that is an argument.

Thanks.

On Friday, August 08, 2008 4:45 AM
arnodieter wrote:

Problem in opening connection with SQLCE3.5
I've written an application for inventory and price enquiry. The application
is written in c# using VS2008, .NetCF2.0 and SQLCE3.5. The device where the
application must run is a Symbol/Motorola MC1000 which has very poor
performance and very little memory.
Sometimes the connection doesn't open. It seems to me, that the device is
"swapping memory" and therefor needs longer than the sqlce-server aspects.
- Who can I workaround these problems?
- Why is the timeout-property of the connection read-only and defaults to
"0"?

Thanks in advance

On Monday, August 11, 2008 2:02 PM
Paul G. Tobey [eMVP] wrote:

[...]

"arnodieter" <***@gmx.de> wrote in message news:g7h13j$isr$03$***@news.t-online.com...

On Monday, August 11, 2008 2:47 PM
Ginny Caughey MVP wrote:

Have you tried setting Connect Timeout=500 or some such in the connection
Have you tried setting Connect Timeout=500 or some such in the connection
string? Does that make any difference?

--

Ginny Caughey
Device Application Development MVP

On Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:29 AM
Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT] wrote:

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C8FCB5.

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C8FCB5.FBEAD350

There is no concept of ConnectTimeout and QueryTimeout with SQL CE. If =
at all they are parsed, they are parsed and ignored as these timeout =
business is when client has to wait for server's response. In case of =
SQLCE, connecting and querying is just another function call and so =
timeouts do not matter.

So we have to rule out timeout possibility. Now coming to on what and =
all could be the reason why a connectino could fail are:
1) Connection String information is wrong - SqlCeException should =
contain the exact details of what is wrong
2) Not enough memory to load all the engine in memory. Please refer to =
blog articles: (Link1, Link2)

Thanks,
Laxmi [Disclaimer: All postings are as-is and confer no rights]

"Ginny Caughey MVP" <***@wasteworks.com> wrote in =
message news:OHpsOK%23%***@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
connection=20
The=20
which=20
device is=20
aspects.
defaults to=20
------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C8FCB5.FBEAD350

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There is no concept of ConnectTimeout =
and=20
QueryTimeout with SQL CE.&nbsp; If at all they are parsed, they are =
parsed and=20
ignored as these timeout business is when client has to wait for =
server's=20
response.&nbsp; In case of SQLCE, connecting and querying is just =
another=20
function call and so timeouts do not matter.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So we have to rule out timeout =
possibility.&nbsp;=20
Now coming to on what and all could be the reason why a connectino could =
fail=20
are:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) Connection String information is =
wrong -=20
SqlCeException should contain the exact details of what is =
wrong</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) Not enough memory to load all the =
engine in=20
memory.&nbsp; Please refer to blog articles: (<A=20
href=3D"http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlservercompact/archive/2007/10/26/trouble=
shooting-can-t-load-sqlce-dll.aspx">Link1</A>,=20
<A=20
href=3D"http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlservercompact/archive/2007/10/26/can-t-f=
ind-p-invoke-dll-sqlcemenn-dll.aspx">Link2</A>)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,<BR>Laxmi&nbsp; [Disclaimer: All =
postings=20
are as-is and confer no rights]<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Ginny Caughey MVP" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:***@wasteworks.com"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>***@wasteworks.com</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&gt; wrote in message </FONT><A=20
href=3D"news:OHpsOK%23%***@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>news:OHpsOK%23%***@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; Have you tried =
setting=20
Connect Timeout=3D500 or some such in the connection <BR>&gt; string? =
Does that=20
make any difference?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Ginny =
Caughey<BR>&gt;=20
Device Application Development MVP<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
"arnodieter"=20
&lt;</FONT><A href=3D"mailto:***@gmx.de"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>***@gmx.de</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; =
wrote in message=20 <BR>&gt; </FONT><A href=3D"news:g7h13j$isr$03$***@news.t-online.com"><FONT =

face=3DArial =
size=3D2>news:g7h13j$isr$03$***@news.t-online.com</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>...<BR>&gt;&gt; I've written an application for =
inventory and=20
price enquiry. The <BR>&gt;&gt; application is written in c# using =
VS2008,=20
.NetCF2.0 and SQLCE3.5. The <BR>&gt;&gt; device where the application =
must run=20
is a Symbol/Motorola MC1000 which <BR>&gt;&gt; has very poor performance =
and=20
very little memory.<BR>&gt;&gt; Sometimes the connection doesn't open. =
It seems=20
to me, that the device is <BR>&gt;&gt; "swapping memory" and therefor =
needs=20
longer than the sqlce-server aspects.<BR>&gt;&gt; - Who can I workaround =
these=20
problems?<BR>&gt;&gt; - Why is the timeout-property of the connection =
read-only=20
and defaults to <BR>&gt;&gt; "0"?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Thanks in=20
advance<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C8FCB5.FBEAD350--

On Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:00 AM
Ginny Caughey MVP wrote:

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C8FC6A.

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C8FC6A.9449B310

Thanks for the details, Laxmi!

--=20

[...]

<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for the details, =
Laxmi!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR><BR>Ginny Caughey<BR>Device Application Development =
MVP</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>"Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:***@msnews.com">***@msnews.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:eAD6nfI$***@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl">news:eAD6nfI$IHA.3756=
@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There is no concept of ConnectTimeout =
and=20
QueryTimeout with SQL CE.&nbsp; If at all they are parsed, they are =
parsed and=20
ignored as these timeout business is when client has to wait for =
server's=20
response.&nbsp; In case of SQLCE, connecting and querying is just =
another=20
function call and so timeouts do not matter.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So we have to rule out timeout =
possibility.&nbsp;=20
Now coming to on what and all could be the reason why a connectino =
could fail=20
[...]
rights]<BR></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C8FC6A.9449B310--

On Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:48 AM
arnodieter wrote:

Re: Problem in opening connection with SQLCE3.5
Hello Ginny.

As you should remember: timeout property is readonly...

On Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:52 AM
arnodieter wrote:

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.------=_NextPart_000_003A_01C8FD21.

------=_NextPart_000_003A_01C8FD21.FC2E73F0

[...]

Have you tried setting Connect Timeout=3D500 or some such in the =
connection=20
string? Does that make any difference?
=20
--=20
=20
Ginny Caughey
Device Application Development MVP
=20
=20
I've written an application for inventory and price enquiry. The=20
[...]

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for the tips.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The solution was 2) Not enough memory. =
I've=20
installed an additional memory card and the application is also =
installed on the=20
memory card. Now the problem is solved.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But I'm still wondering why there isn't =
a useful=20
error message from the .NETCF or the SQLCE and why the error occured =
only=20
sometimes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>"Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:***@msnews.com">***@msnews.com</A>&gt; =
schrieb=20
im Newsbeitrag <A=20
=
[...]

size=3D2>news:OHpsOK%23%***@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; =
Have you tried=20
setting Connect Timeout=3D500 or some such in the connection <BR>&gt; =
string?=20
Does that make any difference?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
Ginny=20
Caughey<BR>&gt; Device Application Development MVP<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; = <BR>&gt;=20
"arnodieter" &lt;</FONT><A href=3D"mailto:***@gmx.de"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>***@gmx.de</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <BR>&gt; </FONT><A =
href=3D"news:g7h13j$isr$03$***@news.t-online.com"><FONT=20
face=3DArial =
size=3D2>news:g7h13j$isr$03$***@news.t-online.com</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>...<BR>&gt;&gt; I've written an application for =
inventory=20
and price enquiry. The <BR>&gt;&gt; application is written in c# using =
VS2008,=20
.NetCF2.0 and SQLCE3.5. The <BR>&gt;&gt; device where the application =
must run=20
is a Symbol/Motorola MC1000 which <BR>&gt;&gt; has very poor =
performance and=20
very little memory.<BR>&gt;&gt; Sometimes the connection doesn't open. =
It=20
seems to me, that the device is <BR>&gt;&gt; "swapping memory" and =
therefor=20
needs longer than the sqlce-server aspects.<BR>&gt;&gt; - Who can I =
workaround=20
these problems?<BR>&gt;&gt; - Why is the timeout-property of the =
connection=20
read-only and defaults to <BR>&gt;&gt; "0"?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; =
Thanks in=20
advance<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT> =
</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003A_01C8FD21.FC2E73F0--

On Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:55 AM
arnodieter wrote:

The question why there is a timeout property which is readonly and defaults to
The question why there is a timeout property which is readonly and defaults
to 0 is still not answered!?

Kind regards

"arnodieter" <***@gmx.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

On Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:59 AM
Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT] wrote:

Oh well, I thought I answered it implicitly in my reply.
Oh well, I thought I answered it implicitly in my reply. Anyways, it is
there just for ADO.NET Compliance and nothing more. Since everyone derives
from Db* base classes and ConnectTimeout is abstract virtual, we had to
override to compile the code. We did it and also made sure to avoid
applications depending on it by returning zero. Let us not debate on why it
should not have been throwing an exception than zero.

Thanks,
Laxmi

"arnodieter" <***@gmx.de> wrote in message news:g7u0gh$gsg$03$***@news.t-online.com...

On Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:16 AM
arnodieter wrote:

Ok that's an argument.Thanks."Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]" <laxmi.
Ok that is an argument.

Thanks.

.NET Remoting - Marshal Objects ByRef
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/8895ea1a-5606-4775-b030-2743e473b8ac/net-remoting--marshal-o.aspx
LightStamp
Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]
2010-01-25 19:05:01 UTC
"This device"? It sounds like what you want is a wedge, a program that takes
the barcode data and shoves it into the keyboard buffer. If a given text box
is focused on your Web form and the scan occurs, the data scanned is 'typed'
into the form. It would be fairly common to set up the scanner to append a
<Tab> or <CR> key to the end of each scanned barcode, causing the focus to
advance to the next text box on your form. It seems likely that any barcode
device you have will have some form of wedging software available. I suppose
that you could also write your own; I've done that.

Paul T.
Post by unknown
[...]
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So we have to rule out timeout =
possibility. =20
Now coming to on what and all could be the reason why a connectino could =
fail=20
are:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) Connection String information is =
wrong -=20
SqlCeException should contain the exact details of what is =
wrong</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) Not enough memory to load all the =
engine in=20
memory. Please refer to blog articles: (<A=20
href=3D"http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlservercompact/archive/2007/10/26/trouble=
shooting-can-t-load-sqlce-dll.aspx">Link1</A>,=20
<A=20
href=3D"http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlservercompact/archive/2007/10/26/can-t-f=
ind-p-invoke-dll-sqlcemenn-dll.aspx">Link2</A>)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,<BR>Laxmi [Disclaimer: All =
postings=20
are as-is and confer no rights]<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Ginny Caughey MVP" <</FONT><A=20
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>> wrote in message </FONT><A=20
face=3DArial=20
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>> Have you tried =
setting=20
Connect Timeout=3D500 or some such in the connection <BR>> string? =
Does that=20
make any difference?<BR>> <BR>> -- <BR>> <BR>> Ginny =
Caughey<BR>>=20
Device Application Development MVP<BR>> <BR>> <BR>> =
"arnodieter"=20
wrote in message=20
face=3DArial =
face=3DArial size=3D2>...<BR>>> I've written an application for =
inventory and=20
price enquiry. The <BR>>> application is written in c# using =
VS2008,=20
..NetCF2.0 and SQLCE3.5. The <BR>>> device where the application =
must run=20
is a Symbol/Motorola MC1000 which <BR>>> has very poor performance =
and=20
very little memory.<BR>>> Sometimes the connection doesn't open. =
It seems=20
to me, that the device is <BR>>> "swapping memory" and therefor =
needs=20
longer than the sqlce-server aspects.<BR>>> - Who can I workaround =
these=20
problems?<BR>>> - Why is the timeout-property of the connection =
read-only=20
and defaults to <BR>>> "0"?<BR>>><BR>>> Thanks in=20
advance<BR>>><BR>>> <BR>></FONT></BODY></HTML>
[...]
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>"Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]" <<A=20
=
wrote in=20
message <A=20
=
@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
[...]
Does that make any difference?<BR>> <BR>> -- <BR>> <BR>> =
Ginny=20
Caughey<BR>> Device Application Development MVP<BR>> <BR>> =
<BR>>=20
face=3DArial=20
wrote in=20
message <BR>> </FONT><A =
face=3DArial =
face=3DArial size=3D2>...<BR>>> I've written an application for =
inventory=20
and price enquiry. The <BR>>> application is written in c# using =
VS2008,=20
.NetCF2.0 and SQLCE3.5. The <BR>>> device where the application =
must run=20
is a Symbol/Motorola MC1000 which <BR>>> has very poor =
performance and=20
very little memory.<BR>>> Sometimes the connection doesn't open. =
It=20
seems to me, that the device is <BR>>> "swapping memory" and =
therefor=20
needs longer than the sqlce-server aspects.<BR>>> - Who can I =
workaround=20
these problems?<BR>>> - Why is the timeout-property of the =
connection=20
read-only and defaults to <BR>>> "0"?<BR>>><BR>>> =
Thanks in=20
advance<BR>>><BR>>> <BR>></FONT> =
</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
.