Strange RDA problem
abelli
2010-12-21 14:06:35 UTC
Hi all,
I try to connect a remote server by using RDA. I can see "Microsoft
SQL Server Compact Server Agent" message on device when i browse
[http://[IP]/Sqlce35/sqlcesa35.dll]. The problem is even the values
are correct, I can't connect to remote SQL server. "Failure to open
SQL Server with given connect string"
I thought may be the server name cannot be resolved and wrote the IP
of the SQL server, but the result is the same. Then something strange
is happened. When I use the remote URL, but the local SQL server name,
database name, user name and password, RDA connected succesfully. How
can SQL Compact Server Tools on remote IIS connect my database server,
but cannot connect the server on itself? Any ideas?
Brian
2010-12-23 20:10:29 UTC
Post by abelli
Hi all,
I try to connect a remote server by using RDA. I can see "Microsoft
SQL Server Compact Server Agent" message on device when i browse
[http://[IP]/Sqlce35/sqlcesa35.dll]. The problem is even the values
are correct, I can't connect to remote SQL server. "Failure to open
SQL Server with given connect string"
I thought may be the server name cannot be resolved and wrote the IP
of the SQL server, but the result is the same. Then something strange
is happened. When I use the remote URL, but the local SQL server name,
database name, user name and password, RDA connected succesfully. How
can SQL Compact Server Tools on remote IIS connect my database server,
but cannot connect the server on itself? Any ideas?
I'm not entirely clear on your description of the 'something strange
happened' stuff, but I can say this:

If you can see e "Microsoft SQL Server Compact Server Agent" then
that only tells you that IIS is set up properly. You still have two
other things in play - the connection to your local sql ce 3.5
database, and your connection to the remote Sql Server instance.
Check your connection string for BOTH of these, make sure they are
correct. If so, make sure that the IIS box can see the SQL instance,
hit the proper ports, etc. Windows Firewalls can sometimes hose this
up.

I've been confused on more than one occasion with regard to the
"Failure to open SQL Server with given connect string" message,
thinking first that it was RDA choking trying to hit the remote SQL
Box, only to realize later that it was my connection string to
the .sdf file that was the problem.
Brian
2010-12-23 20:13:13 UTC
Post by abelli
Hi all,
I try to connect a remote server by using RDA. I can see "Microsoft
SQL Server Compact Server Agent" message on device when i browse
[http://[IP]/Sqlce35/sqlcesa35.dll]. The problem is even the values
are correct, I can't connect to remote SQL server. "Failure to open
SQL Server with given connect string"
I thought may be the server name cannot be resolved and wrote the IP
of the SQL server, but the result is the same. Then something strange
is happened. When I use the remote URL, but the local SQL server name,
database name, user name and password, RDA connected succesfully. How
can SQL Compact Server Tools on remote IIS connect my database server,
but cannot connect the server on itself? Any ideas?
By the way - if you're still having trouble, post the code you are
using as best you are able.
Can you give us the rda object settings, remote connection string,
local connection string...those would be helpful.
abelli
2010-12-27 10:01:47 UTC
Post by Brian
Post by abelli
[...]
Thanks for reply,
The problem occurred on device emulator. I don't have any problem with
my IPAQ now. Somehow, even the IIS and the compact server tools are
running on remote machine(another network that has no connection with
ours like VPN, etc.), emulator checks my own network to find SQL
server and the database. I still don't know how this happens, so I
stopped to use emulator for RDA tests.
Brian
2010-12-29 18:47:01 UTC
Post by abelli
Post by Brian
Post by abelli
[...]
Glad to hear you worked it out. I hate emulators. :)