SQL CE 3.1 and 3.5
The Mad Ape
2009-12-15 00:08:29 UTC
I have a Vista and a Windows 7 64-bit box. I installed CE 3.1 and 3.5 on
each box. I have an app that downloads, reads, and writes to sdf's
downloaded from a Pocket PC. It was a VB.Net 2005 app that I imported
into VB.Net 2008.

I have literally 1000's of sdf in 3.1 format and want to be able to read
and write to them from the 2008 version of the app.

After much 'messing around' I finally got the Vista and Win 7 boxes to
allow me to add the reference to 3.1 but I have to remove the 3.5
reference.

So now when I go to debug I now get an error message:

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging. The
components for the 64-bit debugger are not registered. Please repair
your Visual Studio Remote Debugger installation via 'Add or Remove'
Programs' in Control Panel.

I followed the repair recommendation to no avail. How do I get out of
this mess so I can continue upgrading the software in VB.Net 2008?

It seems that there should be a 64-bit version of 3.1 but I do not think
it exists. Please help.

Thanks

TMA
Doug
2009-12-15 01:17:28 UTC
I believe I ran into this before. The dll's for sqlce are not
compatible with 64 bit OS's. Compile your application as x86 and it
should work.

Good Luck!
TMA
The Mad Ape
2009-12-15 01:24:49 UTC
Post by Doug
I believe I ran into this before. The dll's for sqlce are not
compatible with 64 bit OS's. Compile your application as x86 and it
should work.
Good Luck!
Hi

I have a working exe that was compiled for x86 os and will work on a
64-bit. My problem is that I want to create a new release of the
software with new enhancements. I want to do it in VB.Net 2008. Am I
resigned to creating an upgrade utility for CE 3.1?

Thanks

TMA
TMA
Ginny Caughey
2009-12-15 11:56:17 UTC
Mad Ape,

You can use the SqlCeEngine.Upgrade method, but basically yes, you have to
upgrade the sdf files to 3.5 if you want to use 3.5 to work with them.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqlserverce.sqlceengine.upgrade.aspx
--
Ginny Caughey
Device Application Development MVP
TMA
ErikEJ
2009-12-16 07:52:16 UTC
Just compile your new project for x86, as described here:
http://erikej.blogspot.com/2008/01/x64-and-sql-compact.html
--
Erik Ejlskov Jensen, Mobile App Dev MCTS
Check out my SQL Compact blog at