VS2010, Local Database Template, Error: "...Path is to long. "
Gordian Gossen
2010-04-19 13:59:01 UTC
Hello,

I get the following error message in VS2010, while adding a new item to the
project with template "local database":

"An error occurred while retrieving the information from the database:
The file resolves to a path that is to long. The maximum length is 260
characters.
[File name = B:\Test\Test\Database1.sdf ]"

Drive B is a RamDrive from QSoft Enterprise (x64).
When i copy the project to my harddisk, everything works.

It has something to do with th RamDrive an the codebehind logic of the
SV2010 template wizard.

If this is not the rigth discussion Group please move this thread.
Thank you.

Greetings
Gordian Gossen

p.s. can i post some screenshots?
Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]
2010-04-19 17:54:01 UTC
And this is Windows CE-related or SQL Compact-related?

If not, you're better off posting to a reasonable forum (This one is titled,
"SQL Server for CE", so clearly not correct, unless SQL or Windows CE is
involved!)... I don't think there are any MS administrators routinely
reading this group and, if they moved it, how would you find it?

If so, please give some details that help us, like the version of SQL
Compact you're using and how this database is created and accessed in VS2010.

Paul T.
Gordian Gossen
2010-04-20 09:56:01 UTC
Hi Paul,
thank you for your quick answer

this error is SQL Compact related.

In Visual Studio 2010:
- Solution Explorer => Add => new Item
- Add New Item Dialog => Installed Templates => c# => Data => local database

My version is MS SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 x64 ENU.

Ok. I try to find a better forum.
Thank you
Greetings Gordian
Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Greetings Gordian
ErikEJ
2010-04-20 17:55:33 UTC
You are in the right forum, Gordian.

From what you are saying, it points to a problem with the RAM drive.

Does it act like a "share", in that case, access to a SQL Compact file on a
file share is not supported.

Hope this helps.
--
Erik Ejlskov Jensen, Mobile App Dev MCTS
Check out my SQL Compact blog at