Premature EOF for database errors
Adrians
2010-05-07 00:24:01 UTC
We are having a problem with SQL Server compact reporting the error:-

25047- "OS Error: SQL Server Compact encountered a premature EOF for the
database file. Running the repair utility might help recover some data."

This problem is currently stopping our project going to beta.

This error seems to happen randomly after a few hours of running, it mostly
happens when we have a native C++ using OLEDB and a managed app accessing the
database at the same time but it has also has happened when just running the
native application is running.

The native C++ application is using the disk intensively and writing a lot
of logs and inserting and updating the database continuously, so the disk is
being pushed hard.
The hardware configuration is an ICOP DX cpu module and our own motherboard
with a 1GB IDE flash drive.

Software:
CE 6.0 R3 patched to Feburary
SQL Server compact V3.5 SP1
.NET compact framework V3.5

The CE build uses the ICOP bsp which just uses the standard x86 drivers that
CE come with. I have also tried a normal hard disk and that didn't fix the
problem to rule out the flash drive.

Has anybody got any ideas as where the problem is, is this an IDE driver
problem as suggested by the error message or something else.
Aaron Lawrence
2010-05-09 23:50:35 UTC
25047- "OS Error: SQL Server Compact encountered a premature EOF for the
database file. Running the repair utility might help recover some data."
I'm working with Adrian on this.

Are we best to log an incident with Microsoft?

Can anyone from the CE team tell us how this could occur?

Regards

Aaron
Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]
2010-05-10 19:12:01 UTC
Although you will occasionally see a MS response here, this is a peer support
community, so I wouldn't expect one. If you have a blocking issue like this,
starting a technical support incident with MS will at least assure that you
talk to someone on the support team.

Paul T.
.
Aaron Lawrence
2010-05-20 05:51:08 UTC
Hi Paul,

Thanks, we have done that. Bit of a struggle from New Zealand.
MS have sent a debug (trace) version of the engine DLL, but the amount
of data output at max trace level is unmanagable in our case ..

Regards

Aaron